The Old Fashioned is a deceptively simple cocktail. Typically prepared simply by muddling a sugar cube (or simple syrup if you don’t have cubes) with a couple dashes of bitters, adding bourbon, and then garnishing with a cherry, it’s hard to go wrong with this one. From The Vivant’s Top Ten: Fall Cocktail Roundup, I’m thrilled that Tory Pratt, founder of Pratt Standard Cocktail Co., has shared this absolutely delightful take on the traditional Old Fashioned. Adding their Earl Grey vanilla syrup brings out a whole new dimension to this drink that’s just too hard to pass up.
- 25 oz whiskey
- 5 oz Pratt Standard Cocktail Co. Earl Grey Vanilla Syrup
- 2 dashes aromatic bitters
- Cinnamon stick
- Add bitters and syrup to the bottom of an Old Fashioned glass and swirl to combine.
- Pack the glass with ice and pour whiskey over the ice.
- Stir gently around the inside of the glass, making little to no noise, for 15-20 turns of the bar spoon.
- Garnish with a cinnamon stick.
Dan Blacharski is editor-in-chief of TheVivant.com.