The Baconer Old Fashioned: What sort of magical elixir is this? Does it have bourbon? Does it have bacon in it? Maple syrup? Oh my God, I’ve died and gone to booze heaven. I’m not only going to make one of these right away before I even finish writing this article, I’m having another one on my pancakes this Sunday morning.
From The Vivant’s Top Ten: Fall Cocktail Roundup, Camilo Velasquez at The Baconer shares his delightful twist on an old classic, complete with bacon.
Camilo Velasquez, CEO For Life at The Baconer (that is Camilo’s actual title), says that naturally, bourbon and bacon represent his two favorite food groups on the planet. And yes, Camilo, you are correct – I have actually been in parts of Eastern Europe where bacon does in fact represent a legitimate food group. Camilo’s take on the classic Old Fashioned is now in my canon of favorite cocktails.
- 2 oz. bourbon
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 1 bar spoon of maple syrup
- Orange twist
- Candied maple bacon swizzle
For the swizzle
- Maple sugar small batch bacon strips
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne
- Lay bacon strips on a foil-lined baking sheet. Use a rack if you have it.
- Combine brown sugar, cayenne, and black pepper, and rub all over the bacon strips.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool until stiff and candied surface has hardened.
- While bacon swizzle is cooling, stir together bourbon, bitters, and maple syrup. Add ice to your glass of choice, pour in the cocktail mixture and stir until properly chilled.
- Garnish with the twist and swizzle.
Dan Blacharski is editor-in-chief of TheVivant.com.